SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS LUTHERAN CHURCH
SUMMARY OF FINANCIAL GUIDELINES POLICY
This Summary presents an overview of the Financial Guidelines approved by the Council at its April 14, 2011 meeting. For clarification or requesting a complete copy, please contact the Church Office.
- All capital items considered for purchase (costing $500.00 or more) must be approved by the Council and purchased through comparison shopping or a competitive bidding process. A request must be submitted through the Committee Chair (Council Representative) for presentation to the Council.
- Items costing less than $500.00 and still considered an inventory item (an item for long-term use) may not be purchased by any Ministry until approved by the Council.
- The Property Committee is responsible for conducting the bidding process for items $500.00 and above. No item may be purchased until review and approval by the Council.
- Ministries of the Church conducting fund raisers must present a financial report to the Treasurer within one week of the conclusion of the fund raiser. Contact Treasurer prior to event to arrange handling of cash receipts. This must include an itemized list of expenses and an itemized list of income, purpose of the fundraiser, directive regarding dissemination of funds. Simply list expenses incurred and include receipts, show income from sales, donations, etc and total each column.
- Finance Committee will recommend who is authorized to make charges on the credit card (this should be an employee or officer only).
- Personal (non-business related charges) are prohibited.
- All expenditures must be supported by proper documentation (i.e., receipt and notation of business purpose).
- No reimbursement will be made without acceptable documentation.
- Request for reimbursement must be submitted within 60 days of incurring the expense. Reimbursement request forms will be located on the form rack outside the Secretary’s Office.
- Purchases exceeding $500.00 may not be reimbursed if prior approval has not been given by the Council.
SUBSTANTIATION RULES OF THE IRS
- Any single contribution of $250.00 or more can no longer be substantiated by a canceled check.
- For every “quid pro quo” contribution of $50.00 or more (a payment that is partly a contribution and partly a payment for goods or services received), the Treasure will provide an itemized receipt to the donor that gives the amount of the payment that is tax deductible and provides the donor with an estimate of the value of goods or services. If you do not receive a statement, please contact Dee Shields, 352.432.3342.
TRAVEL (Arranged by the Church)
- Reimbursement for expenses such as airfare, hotels, mileage, parking, phone expense and meals must be accompanied with supporting documentation. Receipts must be produced for any expense over $25.00.
- For any SOTH activity, anyone participating as a driver must produce proof of insurance and a current, valid driver’s license before departure. Driver’s license and proof of insurance must be validated visually and documented (in writing) by adult in charge of the activity; documentation will be filed with expense report when submitted to the Treasurer.
- For any participant 18 years or younger, a parent’s permission slip is required.
- Standard IRS rates will apply for mileage reimbursement; submit request for reimbursement form.
TO OBTAIN CASH ADVANCE
- See the Treasurer.
For additional information, clarification or specific needs, please contact Dee Shields, Treasurer; Phone – 352.432.3342 or e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 8, 2011
Greetings to all at SOTH!
The last several weeks have been a whirlwind! I thought you might like an update of what is happening on my end as I prepare to join the ministry at Shepherd of the Hills in Clermont.
After the meetings on July 14th, I secured an apartment at The Gardens of Citrus Towers, a mover, and set up an estate sale for all the belongings I am leaving behind. I also resigned my position as a Chaplain at Shands Hospital. I then drove off for a pre-arranged week of visiting family and friends and performing a wedding in Miami. I now anticipate seeing my son, Chris, who arrives in Gainesville August 11 for a visit from Afghanistan where he serves as a civilian contractor to the military.
Several friends have been helping me with the packing phase. I have accepted a number of invitations for lunch or dinner, celebrating relationships. This past Saturday, I attended the ordination of the newly called associate pastor to my former congregation in South East Florida. Tonight I complete leading a bible study and saying good bye to my UMC friends. Of course, sorting and packing continues at full speed!
My schedule has the movers arriving at my house in Newberry on August 17 to load the truck; they will transport my belongings to Clermont on Thursday, August 18. I arrive in Clermont along with the movers. The estate sale in Newberry is in September and I hope my house is ready to rent by October 1, 2011 (or shortly thereafter). If all goes according to plan, I will begin at SOTH on September 1, 2011.
I am looking forward to arriving in Clermont in a little over one week and to building a partnership in ministry. We move forward in faith together.
New home address:
1290 North Ridge Blvd (Apt 913)
Clermont, Florida 34711
Cell: 352-682-6838 (no change)
Email: Nancy_Vogel@yahoo.com (no change)
July 14, 2011
To: The Council Members of Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church
From: Pastor Jonathan Ostenburg
Greetings in Christ,
It is with deepest regrets that I must tenure my resignation as Pastor of this fine congregation effective July 16, 2011. As you all know, my physical condition and illness will not allow me to maintain a full or partial ministry here at Shepherd of the Hills. My doctors have advised me to focus on the healing process and have supported me in obtaining my long term disability. Therefore, my focus for the coming months will be on healing and self-care. During that time I feel that it is in the best interest of the congregation that, with the help of the synod and the Holy Spirit, you move forward in finding a suitable pastor to continue and build the ministry here at Shepherd of the Hills.
It has been an honor to minister here over the last fourteen years. I wish to thank Laura Dilley, Barbara West and Terri Krier for their help and support over the past several months. Likewise, I thank each council member for their support of my ministry and of the congregation. My special thanks to all of our members for their continued prayers and support during my time in treatment
I pray that God will continue to bless you and make you a blessing to others.
Blessings, Pastor Jon
Summer Office Hours will change on May 15th: Monday through Thursday from 8am-1pm. The Office will be closed on Fridays until Fall.