Monthly Council Minutes – October 2017

Meeting Date

10-18-2017

Attendees

Pastor Dennis Schmidt
Marian Larson
Diane Bursey
Mark Jacobetz
Jim Johnson
Carol Kenderdine
Karissa Bursey

Absent

Chris Russell
Brad Haizlip
Tina Crawn

Time, Opening, Devotions, Minutes

The meeting was called to order by Jim at 7:05 p.m.
Mark read excerpts of Chapter 12 from Romans, as his Devotion
As no corrections were necessary to last month’s minutes, Diane made a motion to accept them as written. Mark seconded the motion. The motion carried.

Treasurer Report

After a review of the Financial Report, there were several line items that required clarification from Gizella. Jim will contact her and get this information. Diane made a motion to table the report until all questions have been resolved. Jim seconded the motion. The motion carried,

Pastor Report

Member Visits – 6
New Member Visits – 5
Hospital Visitations – 7
Nursing Home/Hospice Visitations – 2
Private Communions – 4
Crisis Intervention – 3
Meetings – 8
Consultations – 11
Worship Services – 12
Mtg. with Conf. Pastors – 1
Classes Taught – 0
Adult Bible Study – 0
Official Pastoral Acts – Synod Assembly 10/11 – 10/14
Special Worship Services – 0
Mileage for Month – Total 221.4 Miles

Committee Reports

President’s ReportAny donations received for Hurricane Damage will be shown on a separate line item on the Financial Report.

Worship and Music Committee Report

There was nothing to report. A meeting will be scheduled for October 26th to discuss the composition of two Services while our Church is under construction.  Plans for the Welcome Table, Worship Coordinator and other issues will also be discussed.

Stewardship Committee

The Stewardship Campaign will be placed on hold, until January, since we are asking our Congregation to help us with the restoration due to the damage from Irma.

Old Business

Diane distributed the Proposed Budget for 2018. Since she only received information from one person, she estimated amounts by reviewing the current year information. Council went through the Budget line by line, making suggested changes. Marian and Pastor Schmidt agreed that there should be a line item for Stewardship. Diane will make these adjustments and redistribute the report for our review. There will be a Congregational Meeting on Sunday October 29th at 9:30 a.m. to discuss hiring Joe Foryan as the Music Director/Office Administrator. We need the Congregations approval to do this.
Diane distributed the updated Constitution to Council Members prior to our meeting requesting that they review and comment, if corrections were needed. There were no corrections needed. The Constitution will be sent to the Synod for approval. It will need to be accepted by our Congregation at our Annual Meeting next year.
Pastor Schmidt gave Council an update on the Restoration of the Church due to Irma Damage. Some members of the Congregation are beginning to notice a musty smell in the Sanctuary. One member commented that they will not be back until it is fixed as they experienced difficulty breathing in Church and for several days thereafter.
Pastor Schmidt distributed a proposal from RP Moore. There was a question as to whether we would need to remove every item ourselves, such as chairs, altar, etc. Chris had spoken to Pastor Schmidt and will get at least one more proposal, possibly two for comparison.
Pastor Schmidt received an E-Mail from the Synod where we were offered the services of an Attorney. She believes that we are being charged too much for our deductible and is questioning several other items regarding our Insurance Policy.
The Symphony has returned the signed contract to us. They will take it a month at a time, knowing that we have damage to our Church. The first concert is November 5th. Subsequent concerts will be Jan., Feb., Mar., Apr. Diane offered to sell water at the concerts. Jim is going to ask Sylvia what items are typically sold at other concerts that she has attended.
Our Peace Pole events will be rescheduled for January.
There was a question about moving the Boy Scouts’ trailer from our parking lot during Symphony performances. We decided that the trailer can be moved onto the gravel road by our entrance.
The Fire Alarm Company tried to repair a problem we were having. It was discovered that we actually need a Pest Control Company due to ants invading the controls on the ground.

New Business

Jim questioned whether we should continue to use Portico as our Health Insurance Company for Employees. Council decided to continue with this Company.

Closing, Next Meeting

Our Next meeting will be held on Nov 21st at 7 p.m.
Carol has Devotions next month.
Jim adjourned the meeting at 8:58 p.m. with Council praying the Our Father together.

Leave a Reply