OVERVIEW OF THE TRANSITION PROCESS IN PASTORS
Florida-Bahamas Synod ELCA: Walking together through the Transition Process Handbook
v OUR PASTOR RESIGNS OR RETIRES
- The congregation council receives the written resignation of the pastor and notifies the Office of the Bishop of the resignation.
- The bishop or a representation of the Office of the Bishop [Pastor Paul Lutze] meets with the congregation or council to provide an overview of the transition process. People from the congregation are welcome to attend. [This will be the July 14 Council Meeting. Pastor Lutze and appointed Interim Pastor will be present.]
- A farewell celebration for the pastor is planned. [Worship service of affirmation for Pastor Jon pastor call at Shepherd of the Hills is July 17 at the 10:15 am service followed by a celebration after church. Please bring lots of cards with personal stories & remembrances of your favorite time with Pastor Jon and what his time here at Shepherd of the Hills has meant to you]
- Closure conversations with the pastor are completed.
- The Office of the bishop appoints an interim, who meets with the council.
- The pastor concludes ministry at this congregation.
v THE TRANSITION PERIOD BEGINS
- The interim pastor arrives to serve the congregation.
- The council and the Office of the Bishop determine immediate needs of the congregation, usually including a ministry assessment/discernment.
- Coaching as needed.
- The congregation addresses issues and concerns that need resolution prior to initiating the call process; updates constitution if need. [Constitution revision in progress.]
- The council, interim and the bishop mutually agree that the congregation is ready to move forward with the call process.
– Taken from Florida-Bahamas Synod guidelines for transitioning pastor.