Pastor Dennis Schmidt, Diane Bursey, Karissa Bursey, Larry Holihan, Chris Russell, Connie Kersten & Tom Klinger
Pam Massaro, Marion Larson, Tina Crawn & Jim Johnson
Time, Opening, Devotions, Minutes
Call to Order- 7:00 PM
Devotion by Pastor Dennis
Minutes of Previous Meeting – No questions or concerns
Safe deposit box has been moved, Mortgage is $255,308 as of current
$45,000 is in building fund, Excess to be sent to Mortgage
Finance committee will meet this month to develop a 2019 budget draft and audit plan
Member visits- 37, New Member visits- 3, Prospective Member Visits- 4, Hospital Visitations- 9, Nursing Home Visitation- 2, Private Communions- 7, Crisis Intervention- 1, Meetings- 3, Consultations- 4, Worship Services- 4, Meetings with conference pastors- 1
Property Committee Report:
Maintenance log rough draft will be sent to the church around 9/22 for people to sign in if they do any work at the church, Toilet in men’s room; new toilet and taller one for handicap. Garage door lock has been changed and keyed to match the deadbolt.
Quotes on repair and replace canopies coming for October meeting, Wishlist for first congregation cleaning day coming in October meeting along with day for cleaning.
Dumpster enclosure; Need engineer drawings, cannot go above 6ft tall, tabled
Worship and Music Report:
1. God’s Work, Our Hands Sunday – September 30.
Sandwiches, chip and beverage after worship. Chris Morse to coordinate with Norma Thompson on food. Participants to work on dressing ME dolls. Participants to bring cookies, cakes, etc. to be distributed to local police departments.
2. Resumption of two services. Scheduled for October 7, 2018 to April 28, 2019. Services to be identical. Coffee hour after each service.
3. Bible Study class. Pastor Godfrey will teach a six-week Bible study class entitled Parables starting on October 7, between worship services.
4. Reformation Festival – October 28. One service at 9:30 this day followed by Festival at 10:45 am. Pot luck featuring German food. Brats cooked by Pastor Schmidt. Festival schedule: 10;45 – Luther Songs taught by Joe Foryan. Then a Reformation Trivia contest at each table while food is being prepared. Then Reformation dinner. After dinner Rick Steve’s Luther and the Reformation film shown to those who stay. Kids activities (including possible bounce house) hosted by youth who attended Houston youth festival. Martin and Katy images used for those desiring photographs.
5. Thanksgiving Eve. No Thanksgiving Eve worship will be scheduled this year, due to previous lack of attendance. Thanksgiving themed refreshments will be offered on Sunday November 18 to include cider, donuts, etc. Chris to coordinate with women group.
6. Hanging of the Greens scheduled after worship on November 25. New Christmas decorations needed — will be discussed at council September meeting.
7. Wednesday Advent worship will be held On December 5,12,19. Pot luck will be held on December 5 at 6:00 pm. Worship all days at 6:30 pm.
8. Men’s Christmas Breakfast – December 9 between services. Men will cook for congregation — menu includes pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, coffee, milk, juice. Free will offering. Proceeds to Christmas needy.
9. Christmas with the Children – Saturday, December 8 at 9:00 am. community children invited. Breakfast, crafts, etc. for needy children. Headed up by Ruth Godfrey.
10. Christmas Program December 23 at morning worship. Program produced by Rita Schmidt. Coordinated by Pam Brosonski. Composed of kids and some adults. Primarily a narration of the Christmas story. May use some pageantry and/or PowerPoint slides. Will replace morning sermon.
11. Christmas Eve services at 6 and 8 pm. No worship on Christmas Day, due to day of week. (three days of services in a row)
12. Larry to obtain an additional member of Worship and Music Committee from members attending 8:00 am service.
13. Audio/visual project implementation is on hold until Restoration fund finalized. Should be in next week or so.
Restoration update; Replacing left-hand side of carpet next week, should only take a few days. Final meeting should be happening within the next one or two weeks
Security System- proposal from last meeting would require a 3-year contract, so we will not pursue this proposal.
Keys and Lock up procedure – Ask Joe to lock doors and educate members to make sure doors are closed completely when they leave.
Guide One- we are unable to split up into separate policies
Church rummage sale will be held the 2nd weekend in November
Christmas of the Angels- see above (Music and Worship)
Purchase of new Christmas decorations. Old decorations will be put out at rummage sale in November. Put together 4-5 members as our Christmas Decoration committee to plan new decorations. Looking into making new Advent banners which will be hung each Sunday of Advent. Ask the Virginia Circle to fund new tree and for all proceeds from Rummage Sale go towards new Christmas decorations. Larry will contact the members who donated to the music fund and see if we can use their funds as well towards the purchase of new Christmas decorations. Council Members now have mailboxes in the copy room. Council members will now have new name tags with a different color. Woman’s toilet on admin wing- the sewer gas is coming up from the drain so we need to call Roto Rooter.
Thank you and gift card for Bill Koch and Alma Wehr
Council Meetings moved to 6:30pm beginning next month at our October meeting. Motioned by Karissa Bursey seconded by Chris Russell unanimously carried
Electronic Sign – Lake county rules have been rescinded, will need $150 building permit so we can put the sign back up. Will then trim the trees and bushes around the sign.
Closing, Next Meeting
Motion to adjourn at 8:08 PM by Connie Kersten, seconded by Chris Russell
Next meeting October 23rd at 6:30pm
October Devotion: Tom Klinger