Member visits -11
New Member visits – 3
Hospital Visitations – 1
Nursing Home/Hospice Visitations – 0
Private Communions – 2
Crisis Interventions – 0
Meetings – 5
Consultations – 11
Worship Services – 10
Mtg. with Conf. Pastors – 1
Classes taught – 9
Adult Bible Study – 3
Official Pastoral Acts – Welcomed 12 New Members into our Church Family on 1/13/2019
– Baptism of Matthew Kingman on 1/27/2019
Special Worship Services –
2. Easter lilies sign up and procurement will be coordinated by Marie Johnson.
3. A discussion of what to do with partitions was held. It was decided to not put them back up for now, but to retain them for future use.
4. Easter and Lenten worship schedule was approved:
– Ash Wednesday services: noon and 6:30 pm
– Lenten Services begin March 6 at 6:30. Meal at 6:00 pm consisting just of soup and bread.
– Maundy Thursday service (April 18) at 6:30 pm with Seder Meal
– Good Friday Service (April 19) at 6:40 pm with Tenebre Service
– Easter Worship (April 21) at 8:00 and 10:15 am with Celebratory worship.
– Easter Breakfast between services in Education Wing (coordinated by Normal Thompson)
5. We will move to one service at 9:30 am on May 26 and return to two services on September 8.
6. Confirmation will be held on June 9 (Pentecost) with a cake reception.
7. Banners are needed for Lent, Easter, Pentecost and long green season. They will not all be done at once. Rita Schmidt is coordinating creating them with other volunteers.
8. In summer, it was recommended to conduct a monthly potluck.
9. Before Easter, it was recommended that church men sponsor a Saturday evening fellowship dinner. Larry will coordinate with council.
10. Larry will coordinate a Souper Bowl of Caring fundraiser for a local charity. Donations can be made for favorite teams.
11. Lots of openings are available for worship leaders. Committee members are encouraged to personally contact members to fill these positions. Counters are particularly needed.
10. Pastor is conducting a Bible study session between Sunday worship for 8-10 weeks. May be extended if it proves popular.
Shepherd of the Hills Council Agenda Meeting Date
Bid to repair damper
Mortgage Reduction Plan
Youth Sunday School
Lake County Sheriff – Security Vulnerability Session
Military Bible Stick
New Toilet in Education Wing bathroom
Assistance in helping Larry go through SOTH History boxes
Spring Fellowship Dinner
$20,000 was sent to our mortgage lender as an additional mortgage payment. Mortgage status as of February 10, 2019 is as follows:
Building mortgage balance Feb 1, 2019 $225,710
Extra principal payment Feb $ 20,000
Adjusted mortgage balance Feb 10 $205,710
Bldg Fund cash on hand $ 18,440
App. money needed to retire mortgage $187,846
Our Synod commitment has been increased to $1,000 monthly.
Electric utility costs have dropped to around $1K/month. We’ll have to see if that is a result of conversion to LED lighting and more careful monitoring of A/C, or just a seasonal recovery.
Time, Opening, Devotions, Minutes
Devotion by Larry Holihan – Devotion by Larry Holihan: What can we do when we put aside our differences to help others that really need us?
Minutes of Previous Meeting – No questions or concerns
The building mortgage ended the year with a balance of $229,628.38 still owed. We had $35,680.72 in the building fund at the end of the year (we plan to make a principal payment of $20,000 this month to further reduce the mortgage.) We will be adding additional emphasis this year to try to eliminate or significantly reduce the mortgage by the end of this year. An additional amount of slightly over $10,000 for supplemental work on the restoration project was received from Guide One insurance; the entire amount was forwarded to the contractor for work performed.
Our commitment to the Florida/Bahamas Synod was fulfilled, and all known bills were paid by the end of the year. No previous monies due were carried into the new year.
The Raymond James fund was performing ok until December when the stock Market took a big hit. Our Investment fund lost a value of $6,425.35 with most of the loss occurring in December. Our Raymond James Scholarship fund lost a value of $14,80.18, again most of the loss in December. $8,000 was transferred to our Designated Scholarship fund in August and several scholarships were paid.
The Audio/Visual installation costs have been fully paid and were very close to the estimates given to the congregation at the special meeting when the project was approved.
The outdoor lighting installation of LED bulbs was completed in January. Some additional ground lights and other lights are being converted to LED. Over $5,200 was received in donations for this project. A final financial accounting will be presented when all bills are paid, but the expenses were well below the contributions.
Note that there were many renovations/improvements during the church year: new cross, audio/visual system, paraments, rear tables and chairs, parking lot lighting, etc. I am pleased to report that all of these items were paid for by designated funds given by the congregation, and no monies were expended from the General Fund for these items.
The Finance Committee has been meeting periodically (latest meeting on January 13) and the 2019 Proposed Budget is almost complete, and financials are being prepared for the annual Congregational Meeting.
Pam Brosonski will be auditing the 2018 financials.
The conversion of financials to ChurchTrac is complete and working well. The Custodian and Bookkeeper are added/converted to part time employees beginning on January 1, 2019. The conversion to the new Mainstreet Bank account is working well. We have reduced bank charges significantly from the previous BB&T bank.
My sincere thanks to Tina Crawn for assuming the duties of bookkeeper. She has performed a miracle in getting our books in shape and correcting numerous problems discovered throughout the year. My thanks also to Pam Brosonski for serving on the Finance Committee and performing our annual audit.
Recommendations/Action – In 2019 we will be reviewing the latest ELCA financial guidelines and insuring our procedures and policies are up to date and in compliance with these guidelines.
Worship & Music – Nothing to report
Finance Committee – Meeting date: 1/13/19; Attendees-Pam Brosonski, Tina Crawn &
Items Discussed – Contents of Financial Report to be presented at Congregational Meeting was discussed. Treasurer’s report will include pertinent financial expenditures for the year and the ending status of Funds. Reports will include: Balance Sheet, Income and Expense of each fund, and Proposed Budget for 2019
Recommendations/Action – New contracts need to be signed for 2019. Previous year financial details from Gizella Guba have not yet been received. These are necessary for church records. Job description for Custodian has not been prepared. Larry will submit a draft to Property Committee for their approval.
Implementation – Pam Brosonski is prepared to audit church books for 2018.
Music Director increase 2% per year to $14,400, Motion made by Peg, seconded by Tina passed by a 9 to 1 vote
Office Coordinator increase of 3.26% per year to $14,600, Motioned to accept by Peg, seconded by Marion, carried unanimously
Custodian moved to an hourly rate of $13.50, Motioned to accept by Peg, seconded by Marion, carried unanimously
Pastor increase of $2000 to wages, leaving housing allowance the same. Motioned to accept by Peg, seconded by Karissa, carried unanimously.
No change to organist pay
Larry found an old custodian checklist and updated to be used in 2019.
Closing, Next Meeting
Next Council meeting Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:30 PM
Devotions by Connie Kersten
Previous year financial details from Gizella Guba have not yet been received. These are necessary for church records.
Job description for Custodian has not been prepared. Larry will submit a draft to Property Committee for their approval.
Shepherd of the Hills Council Agenda Meeting Date
2. Thermostat covers – Connie Kersten
3. AC Estimate for damper repair
4. Use of church by Hispanic Congregaton
5. 2019 Budget
6. Parking lot lights
7. Electric Sign
2. 2019 Devotions sign up